The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) has launched!
The Renewable Heat Incentive is a Government scheme providing tax-free and index-linked payments for the use of non-fossil fuels. The RHI launched 9th April 2014 and Eco Installer are here to help you.
Renewable heating systems installed before the launch of the Domestic RHI:
Lots of our customers have already had their renewable heating system installed in preparation of the RHI launch which makes them a ‘legacy applicant’.
There are two types of a legacy applicant:
– People who funded the cost of their renewable heating systems by personal methods
– People who received the Renewable Heat Premium Payment (RHPP), a one-off grant designed to help towards the costs of installing a renewable system
If you received the RHPP, this payment will be deducted evenly from the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive payment over the lifetime of the scheme.
When to apply for the Renewable Heat Incentive?
To receive the RHI payment, all legacy applicants must apply within the first 12 months of the launch of the scheme. If you have received the RHPP, you need to apply for the RHI as follows:
– If you applied for the RHPP before 20th May 2013, you can apply three months after the scheme opens
– If you applied for the RHPP on or after the 20th May 2013, you can apply six months after the scheme opens
– If you did not apply for the RHPP or you received the vouchers but did not use them, you can apply at the launch of the scheme.
As a note, if the Government has to reduce tariffs due to the high uptake, your payment will not be affected.
Green Deal Assessment:
A Green Deal Assessment is required before applying for the RHI and the report number will be required as part of the application process. If your Green Deal report makes recommendations such as loft insulation, this should be completed and a follow-up Energy Performance Certificate should be completed before applying for the domestic RHI. If the recommendation is not possible, applicants can still apply for RHI.
Special Provisions for legacy applicants:
– MCS standards change yearly, your renewable system only needs to meet the standards set on the date your system was commissioned
Do you need metering for the Renewable Heat Incentive?
No you don’t need metering:
– If you have Solar thermal for heating domestic water
– If you live in the same home all year round and have one renewable heating technology supplying the whole house
– If you have a back-up heating system installed to heat a single room, such as open fire or plug-in electric heater
Yes you do need metering:
– If you do not live in your property permanently
– If you have a back-up heating system installed (such as biomass boiler with a oil boiler)
– If you have more than one renewable heating source for space heating
Our MCS qualified team based in Ely, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire are able to give you more information and answer questions regarding the RHI, Renewable Energy and general Plumbing and Heating.
Please explore our website for more information or give our friendly team a call on 01353 669000.